[Cialug] GitLab

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Oct 19 09:41:26 CDT 2016

I used to have a self-hosted GitLab instance, but it was a pain to keep
updated, and one update eventually broke the install. It's possible that I
didn't follow the upgrade instructions precisely, but they have frequent
updates and updating was sometimes tricky. GitLab is written in Ruby/Ruby
on Rails so inherits a lot of messiness from that (I'm not a fan of Ruby or
RoR).

I also didn't like the fact that they were open core model, where you have
to pay for advanced features. Once I broke my install, I decided that I
didn't really need it (I was really the only person using it) so I just
dumped it. If I was going to set up something like that again, I'd skip
GitLab and go with Pagure:

https://pagure.io/pagure

For me, it's better because it's written in Python, it's packaged for
Fedora/RHEL/CentOS, and it's 100% open source.

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 9:20 AM, Dave Hala <dave at 58ghz.net> wrote:

> Anyone using a self hosted version of GitLab (community version) for
> web development?  Any complaints or gotchas?
>
> :) Dave

Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.