[Cialug] Landscape of SQL servers

Matt matt at itwannabe.com
Sun Oct 16 09:36:56 CDT 2016

There is a very loud (likely majority) in the IT world that will
constantly repeat to you "RAID is *NOT* a BACKUP."  I've heard it many
times in LUG meetings.  A backup's purpose is to allow you to recover
not only from failed equipment (from which RAID does an excellent job of
protecting you... assuming you pay attention to all your arrays and make
sure to notice and replace failed drives quickly) but also from computer
errors (program, virus, OS bugs that can cause data corruption) and
human errors (oops, I just typed `rm -rf /` because my buddy told me it
would optimize my intertubes and help connect them to my megapipes!).

In a perfect world, backups should also protect your data from acts of
God and evil men, plus stuff like faulty wiring and plumbing (your house
gets struck by lightning, which causes the gasoline, detcord, and C4
that your mad scientist neighbor has been stashing in your storage shed
while you and your family are off on vacation to explode, which causes
the house to shake so violently that the plumbing for the 2nd story
bathroom bursts and pours water on your 1st story office computer and
your 21U rack in the basement).  A good backup system keeps a copy of
all important data not only nearby for a quick restore when a tiny
disaster strikes, but also keeps that same data somewhere safely offsite
in case a major disaster has a much wider area of effect.

All that said, I am a huge fan of RAID.  I had a faulty PSU in my
desktop machine that was eating a hard drive every couple of months.  It
took me a while to figure it out, but I never had to reload from backup
because I was able to replace the failed drive before the next drive
would die.  What RAID was designed to do was to not only protect your
data, but to keep that data accessible, even when a failure happens.  It
will keep you working when a drive fails, and it will give you time to
replace it, so it can help you avoid one of the major hassles of a
backup system: recovering from a loss.  It can also make sure that your
primary system and your primary backup are safer places to store your
data.  It just can't mitigate human error, data corruption, or natural
disasters.

-- Matt Stanton