[Cialug] rsnapshot replication

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Mar 9 17:55:56 CST 2016

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 5:32 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Mar 2016, Josh More wrote:
>
> > I had a similar failure years ago.  These days I use CrashPlan (not the
> > same, I know) and TarSnap (also not the same).
> >
> I glanced at CrashPlan some time ago, .. but I would prefer to work with
> base tools instead of dealing with commercial or quasi-commercial
> products.

I've never come across a home-grown backup solution that didn't take up
way, way too much of my time fiddling around with scripts (generally fixing
things up when the underlying tools had an incompatible change or error
conditions occurred that I hadn't thought of), and probably would fail
anyway when the **** hit the fan, especially when it comes to making sure
that the data that is off-site is kept reasonably up-to-date.

Count me as another +1 for CrashPlan.Well worth the money.

--
Jeff Ollie