[Cialug] ? Team Code Review Tool like Atlassian Stash

jim kraai jimgkraai at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 13:19:00 CDT 2016

Thanks to those here, I have the skeleton for a proposal!

Consider these True Tales From Jim's Past(tm) before tossing a cheap cliche
about expense or 'the best tool is worth any expense' at this kind of
situation.

1.  I once worked for a company who had always printed big annual calendars
for all of the conference rooms in it's buildings.  They quit producing the
calendars one year because the cost of production was measurable, whereas
the cost of not having them was not measurable.  To the accountants, it was
a clear cost savings.  To the rest of the company, not so much--but no one
ever figured out how to prove it.

2.  There are places where labor is perceived to be very cheap and cash is
perceived to be very expensive.  Almost any amount of labor spent
implementing and hosting an open source tool on existing hardware might be
perceived to be much less expense, organizationally, than a piddling few
thousand dollars that has to get through what might be an outdated,
labyrinthine approval process that may be subject to public scrutiny by
witch hunters.