[Cialug] Mini-SETI

Paul Gray gray at cs.uni.edu
Sat Jun 18 16:05:41 CDT 2016

On 06/18/2016 02:31 PM, Todd Pierce wrote:
> Crew,
>
> I'm in Tulsa now and she calls me and says she's freaked out about the
> latest surveillance on her.  Apparently, even though she keeps her
> bluetooth off on her phone, when she's driving down the road it
> occasionally comes up as being paired with something.  The phone is only a
> week old.

It sounds like the easiest (and first) step would be to fire up a
Bluetooth device scanner and see what bluetooth devices are present.
Then check their ids against manufacturer's allocations.  Perhaps if
something odd is found, to triangulate a signal by moving around the
vehicle with a bluetooth scanner showing signal strengths.

There are plenty of Bluetooth scanning apps in the respective app stores
for iPhone and Android.

Coming from a Linux guy, the app approach would be the first
recommendation rather than trying to leverage bluemon on the Linux laptop.

-Paul