[Cialug] eth1 crash -> system crash

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Mon Jun 6 12:40:48 CDT 2016

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016, Kyle Hamilton wrote:

> This script ran /etc/cron.hourly/check_link and then it looks like
> kernel panic. I do not have access to my server atm to check if it is
> there, what is this script?

Interesting, .. the script checks for the status of an ssh tunnel to a
remote server by grep'ing for that hostnme.

The script itself has worked for many years on many different boxes, ..
there are only two failure modes that have been observed:

 * The link goes down, there is no matching hostname in the process list,
   and it restarts when the cron job match fails;

 * The link 'hangs' for some reason (i.e. stops passing traffic but the
   hostname is still in the process list), in which case a manual clear
   is required. Usually caused by a failure of the ISP to route traffic.

Any thought on why such a simple cron job could cause a kernel panic?

	Thanks!!!

	Lee