[Cialug] Get Random in VMware

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Wed Jul 20 13:42:37 CDT 2016

On 2016-07-20 at 13:30:54 Todd Walton wrote:
> Anybody know of a better way of getting randomness in a VMware
> virtualized Red Hat / CentOS guest than /dev/random?

I've installed haveged on my VMs that require randomness. It seems to
provide lots of entropy and didn't require any real configuration;
setting it up on RHEL7 was literally just:
    # yum install haveged
    # systemctl enable haveged
    # systemctl start haveged

Please note that i have not done any statistical analysis of the
randomness that comes out of haveged to determine how random it really
is. From what i read about it, it seemed adequate for my needs though.

__
Daniel A. Ramaley  |  Server Engineer 2
Information Technology Services (ITS) | Drake University

T: +1 (515) 271-4540
F: +1 (515) 271-1938
E: daniel.ramaley at drake.edu