[Cialug] Email host evaluation

Paul Gray gray at cs.uni.edu
Fri Jul 1 17:29:32 CDT 2016

On 07/01/2016 05:07 PM, Claus Niesen wrote:
> My replies to the anonymized craigslist addresses don't get delivered and I don't receive a bounce email.  I do get a bounced email if I send a mail to an invalid craigslist address.  Had an extensive email exchange with Gandi but they came to the conclusion that it's craigslist fault

^ This (Craigslist's fault).

Other things that you didn't mention that you might want to throw in the
mix for consideration:

*) Do they employ greylisting?
*)   - If so, do they give an option for setting duration?
*) Do they DKIM sign messages in transit?
*)   - If so, for your specific domain?
*) Do they themselves use RBL lists for incoming?
*)   - If so, which ones? Spamhaus, Sorbs, Barracuda?
*) Do they scan or otherwise "tag" transit?
*)   - DKIM as mentioned above, but any "X-scanned by XXX" header crap?
*) What do the SPF records reveal about their egress servers?
*)   - Firm rejects, or just soft fails/warnings?
*)   - SPF's include "includes"  (See Dan R's SPF records for Drake!)

That should be enough to confuse you a bit more.  Sorry.

-Paul