[Cialug] Mail list question.

matt at itwannabe.com matt at itwannabe.com
Fri Jan 1 13:41:51 CST 2016

The mailing list does have a rather small message size limit of 81kB, so if even a small image is attached it can cause the list to hold the message for review by a list admin.  For example, the attached image caused this message to be delayed for review.

Generally I just send these messages through after making sure there isn't anything spammy about them (and there almost never is because you have to be subscribed to send mail to the list), but I'm only one of, like, 5 list admins so I might never have seen the original message.

It is possible that no one replied to the message if no one has an answer for your question.  You should have received a copy of your original message, though, as your email address has the option to deliver copies of email you sent to the list to you (which is the default setting for this list).

If you tried to send the message from a different email address (other than the rigrunn Google address), then it may have been blocked without a notification to the list admins.  I've had that happen to me before because I have a stupid, ridiculous number of email addresses set up in thunderbird and my android mail client, and I'm not always paying attention to which one is set to send new mail messages from.

If the message size limit should be raised, that is something that could be argued for in a new subject thread, as I'm pretty sure that the size limit was probably set when a 33.6kbps modem was the normal method of accessing the internet.  I'm not sure if it's really required when the standard delivery method is "plain text", so you shouldn't really be sending large MIME or HTML messages in the first place.

-- Matt (N0BOX)