[Cialug] Raspberry Pi 3

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Feb 29 11:53:05 CST 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 11:31 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Feb 2016, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
>
> > Well, maybe it's letting me order one.  MCM's website appears to be
> > overloaded.
> >
> We're still using B models, .. they are more than powerful enough and a
> LOT less power hungry! Only problem is low [or no] stock are distributors.

Guess it all depends on how you use them.  I was thinking about making an
arcade cabinet using RetroPie so having the extra processing power of a Pi2
or Pi3 is worth the trade-off for power consumption.  I tried putting
openHAB on a Pi2 and was very disappointed in the performance, but that
might have more to say about openHAB than the Pi2.  I have a couple
original Pis at home that are working just great.  One is running PiAware
feeding ADS-B data to flightaware.com and one is monitoring the temperature
in my detached garage and will eventually control my garage door opener.

I did get a Pi3 ordered (MCM limits you to one) but I have no idea when
it'll ship.

--
Jeff Ollie