[Cialug] Spontaneous Outbreak of Read-Only-ness

Kelly Slaugh KSlaugh at Studentloan.org
Wed Feb 24 11:56:09 CST 2016

I've ran into RO systems because of a fault in the hardware/drives themselves. Just an idea, if the system is setup to check the disks during reboot, that may be why it worked after. Check you dmesg logs for boot errors.

Look into how to run the command "fsck"

Run the command - "man fsck"

Read up about it, do not run fsck on a system that has mounted drives, you will need to put the system into runlevel 1 to properly run the fsck command.

Good luck Todd,

~Rabid_Gerbil

-----Original Message-----
From: cialug-bounces at cialug.org [mailto:cialug-bounces at cialug.org] On Behalf Of Todd Walton
Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 11:24 AM
To: Central Iowa Linux Users Group
Subject: [Cialug] Spontaneous Outbreak of Read-Only-ness

I've had two weird read-only-izings happen in the past 24 hours.

First, a RHEL 6 box: Found I couldn't write files to /tmp, even as root.
Further poking revealed that I couldn't write to / either. 'cat
/proc/mounts' said / was rw. Changing SELinux to permissive didn't help.
Rebooted. All is well.

Then, a CentOS 6 box: Tried to update root password. It took the password
twice and then said "passwd: Authentication token manipulation error". I
tried to mv the shadow file, thinking maybe I'd re-shadow passwd, but it
wouldn't let me move it because... read-only filesystem. Again, 'cat
/proc/mounts' showed that that should not have been the case. I rebooted
and all is now well.

I can't troubleshoot these further right now because I made the problem go
away. But anybody seen this before?

--
Todd