[Cialug] Samba Challenge

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Mon Feb 22 13:16:54 CST 2016

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016, Rob Cook wrote:

> I wonder if for testing you don't simplify the config for now and add
> options back in once you know it's working. Here is the config from my
> CentOS box with much fewer options defined, everything works as expected.

Good idea, .. added one share to your config to show if it is operating:

[Data]
        comment = Data Share
        guest ok = No
        browseable = yes
        inherit acls = Yes
        path = /u/Data
        read only = No

Same error:

protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT

====

If I didn't know better, I would swear that selinux is getting in the way.
In this case, however:

 * There are no selinux tools installed
 * The firewall is off
 * We use a nonstandard port for ssh, and IT is working

Which would seem to indicate that it is not running. I do see smb running
in the log (4.1.22-26.1):

  Samba name server MAINSERVERPES is now a local master browser for
workgroup PRECISION on subnet 192.168.0.200

Interesting that it complains about passdb parameter:

	  Ignoring unknown parameter "passdb"

Commenting it out is required - I can still change smb passwords via
smbpasswd without complaint about the entry not being present.

	TFTR!!!!

	Lee