[Cialug] NAS + Cloud

Jared Brees fromj2sitsme at msn.com
Fri Dec 2 11:07:11 CST 2016

So I agree with everyone that the Synology stuff is pretty sweet, and yes, some of our units here at work support ownCloud installation through the GUI (or at least they appear to - we never actually tried it).

As someone who maintained an ownCloud installation for a couple years, I can tell you that the "sync" IS in fact, offsite or onsite, provided it's setup to be such. If you point it to an IP address, you're probably asking for trouble.

What I would recommend, is a NextCloud install (not ownCloud; think OpenOffice/LibreOffice, LibreOffice is what to use now). For the list of stuff below, I'll assume a distro + package (example: Ubuntu Server + NextCloud on top of that)

- Make sure server has static IP on LAN

- Setup the home network with a Dynamic DNS hostname from one of the free providers, and forward the appropriate ports (80,443, if you're keeping it standard)

- LetsEncrypt the thing

- On the home router, setup a DNS entry to point to the LAN IP address, that matches the DDNS hostname

- tell all clients to point to https://ddns-hostname.example.com/nextcloud, or whatever it is they need to point to

- watch them sync on- and off-site

Jared Brees<http://me.relatedtotechnology.org/> - Squirrel Photographer<http://squirrels.relatedtotechnology.org/>