[Cialug] Chromebook as Thin Client

jim kraai jimgkraai at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 22:49:54 CDT 2016

Was reading this
http://www.techspot.com/review/1218-affordable-40-thread-xeon-monster-pc/
"affordable," heh, and reminding myself why I hate turning the living room
into a server room.  (Retreating from the family to hide in another room
for the evening is a worse thought for me, and using linoden for this is a
separate discussion.)

I've been enjoying using my laptop from my comfy recliner for a few years.
My laptop is about ready to give up the ghost, so it's the right time to
start planning.

Why can't I have both?  Who here has been doing this already for years?

Any reasons why the whole family couldn't simultaneously do this?  Would we
even need to be in the house, as in, couldn't I access such a thing from
anywhere on the interwebs with a few M/s throughput?  Other than a dusty
PS4, there's no gaming to speak of at the Kraai house.  Boring place.

Yes, I would install Linux, kind of, more likely a hypervisor with VMs. Or
the fastest FreeDos _ever_!  Next I'll need reliable storage.  I hear
backblaze is still selling stuff.   Well I'm off to finance this fantasy
with lotto scratchers ...