[Cialug] NAS & disk drives

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Sun Apr 10 21:31:29 CDT 2016

On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 6:44 PM, Dan Hockey <icepuck2k at gmail.com> wrote:

> Another dumb question....If I get the 2bay nas I want should I get spares
> and switch out the older drives for a while(for a backup) or should just
> run the first set of drives until a failure?

Unless you're running a giant datacenter I don't think that makes a lot of
sense to keep a spare drive on the shelf "just in case".  Unless your
drives are failing frequently (and if they are you're doing something
wrong) you've got a lot of money sitting there on the shelf.  While a drive
will last longer on the shelf, the will still be some degradation which
means by the time you need to replace the drive the spare has developed
problems too. Periodically swapping a drive out just for the heck of it
will create extra stress because the RAID will have to work overtime to
rebuild the array.

My suggestion is to buy the drives that you need now, make sure that your
backups are in order, and make sure that you'll find out quickly if a drive
(or your backup) is failing so that corrective action can be taken promptly.
​

> On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 6:36 PM, Dan Hockey <icepuck2k at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the input. I ordered a pair of wd reds 2tb drives.
> >
> > On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 5:07 AM, Dave Hala <dave at 58ghz.net> wrote:
> >
> >> The hitachi ultrastar 2tb drives have a low failure rate.
> >>
> >> :) Dave

> complaints

> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108216&cm_re=synology_2bay-_-22-108-216-_-Product

Jeff Ollie