[Cialug] NAS & disk drives

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Sat Apr 9 19:12:11 CDT 2016

On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 6:30 PM, Dan Hockey <icepuck2k at gmail.com> wrote:

> What would be you guess about expected life from a wd red?

Don't know if I want to guess, but my oldest WD RED is just approaching 1
year of near-continuous operation in my Ceph cluster.  I have some Seagate
3TB desktop drives that are approaching 4 years of continuous operation.
Your mileage will vary.  From what I've read of the large drive statistics
gathered by companies like Google etc drives tend to fail relatively
quickly or last seemingly forever.

The best advice I can give is to buy quality drives and make sure to
monitor them for failures so that failed drives can be dealt with quickly
before you have multiple failed drives and you are losing data.

And backups, definitely backups.

--
Jeff Ollie