[Cialug] Video Stream

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Sep 28 10:08:39 CDT 2015

WebRTC is a new-ish peer-to-peer web protocol that aims to make it
relatively easy to create applications like Skype. In 2013 it was an
emerging technology and very poorly supported, but now both Chrome and
Firefox support it [1].

When I played with WebRTC 2 years ago it was pretty darn easy to use. My
son and I created a simplistic iOS app for his 3GS and attached it to a
MindStorm robot. We used it's camera to stream data to his laptop where we
used bluetooth to steer it around the house (well, within the range of
bluetooth) while we watched the video feed in the browser.

The code to display the stream on a local network was literally a few lines
of javascript that we copy and pasted from a tutorial. It allowed us to
embed the video right in a web page with no plugins or applets.

Coincidentally, and I know this may sound like a huge coincidence, DSM Web
Geeks will be doing a hands-on dojo Monday Oct 12 at 6:30 at Legends
downtown. We haven't posted this to the blog[2] or Facebook[3] yet, but
this will be a continuation of last month's event where we made a UI for
the app.

I believe that WebRTC works over a WebSocket, which can be port 80 or 443
and should meet your needs. I have not used the technology enough to know
for sure if that is all the data (audio and video included) or if that is
used to just negotiate what ports will be used for the streams.

Here are some code samples you can start out with if you want to hack on it
right away: https://github.com/webrtc/samples

[1] http://caniuse.com/#search=webrtc
[2] http://www.dsmwebgeeks.com/
[3] https://www.facebook.com/groups/dsmwebgeeks/

On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 5:44 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Sep 2015, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
>
> > Live video streaming is a royal PITA as far as I'm concerned, especially
> if
> > you want to stick with open source software.  There are lots of guides
> out
> > there for streaming canned video content, but there isn't much for live
> > content.
> >
> What's surprising is how little information is out there! If the Chinese
> can do this exact application with a $30 video camera using Linux, why
> cannot documentation be found anywhere?
>
> Might have to buy one and take it apart?
>
>         TFTR!
>
>         Lee

Matthew Nuzum