[Cialug] Gmail rejects

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Thu Nov 5 12:43:31 CST 2015

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015, Hasler, Chris wrote:

> It appears that Google may have recently made changes and they are now
> more finicky about authentication with 3rd party apps or scripts to
> GMails SMTP servers.

Hi Chris,

That does appear to be the problem, .. as now all outbound local-user
emails are getting rejected.

So, .. this mailserver used to use gmail as a smarthost for local users,
while forwarding domain users to the 'official' smtp relay for the domain.

Unfortunately, with this change a return address of 'root' or 'lvl' now
fails (i.e. no "@domain.name").

Would anyone have a thought on how to fix this issue? The options I see
are:

 * Configure gmail so that non FQDN return address are acceptable;
 * Route local user traffic via the 'official' outbound relay;
 * Append a different domain name to local user from addresses;
 * Force local user outbound emails 'From' address to a valid one (i.e.
   both user & domain).

Suggestions would be appreciated!

        Lee