[Cialug] Slack group?

jim kraai jimgkraai at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 08:09:29 CST 2015

Let me be clear:  There's nothing inherently wrong with your proposal.  We
need you to keep proposing things.  I just don't like _this_ proposal.

Having exactly one archived, searchable channel of group communication is
an advantage in that it forces one channel to be authoritative and suitable
for all things official.  An example is when time/date of the monthly
meeting is changed, so when discussion happens off of this list, some
people wouldn't get the information.  If the group were to abandon this
channel and somehow import all of the past emails into slack, then slack
could be the new authoritative, archived, searchable channel of group
communication.

My employer uses slack.  I personally don't.  If my employer used
freenode's irc, I would no longer use it for #cialug without going through
extra motions to keep those accounts isolated from each other and from
being easily correlated--none of which are available to me on my smartphone.

By all means, start up a free slack channel.  If the phone app serves a
single ad, sucks too much battery, or if people flood it w/ animations,
don't be surprised if people here don't use it.

--jim