[Cialug] /boot full -can't update

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Mar 20 09:04:12 CDT 2015

Maybe a better thing to do is apt-get autoremove. If you've done updates
and new kernels were installed, the old ones will not automatically be
removed. However, since Ubuntu's dependencies will point to the newest
kernel, the others will not be depended upon.

Autoremove will clear up those old kernels for you, as well as other
packages that may be taking up space and are no longer needed. It will also
ensure that the boot list does not point to those kernels.

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 12:52 AM, Zachary Kotlarek <zach at kotlarek.com>
wrote:

> > On Mar 19, 2015, at 9:31 PM, Tom Sellers <tomsellers2001 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > machine running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
> >
> > recommended to run sudo apt-get -f install however this process fails
> with the following:
> >
> > linux-generic-pae : Depends: linux-headers-generic-pae (3.2.0.59.70) but
> 3.2.0.77.91 is installed
> > linux-image-generic-pae : Dependes: linux-image-3.2.0-59-generic-pae but
> it is not installed
> > E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
> >
> > df -h shows:
> >
> > /dev/sda1                   228M  225M       0   100% /boot
> >
> > How do I free up enough space to allow the update to complete?
>

> Delete something from /boot.
>
> For reference on an Ubuntu 12.04 system I have 3 kernel versions installed
> and with all their support files (and some cruft) they come to a total of
> 91 MB in /boot, so I would expect 225 MB to be plenty of space for what you
> propose.
>
> Without knowing what’s on /boot on your system it’s hard to offer further
> advise. But there should only be a couple of hundred files in the whole
> tree, and only like a dozen outside of tiny grub modules. So it’s easy to
> look manually and see what’s taking up space. For example, this finds only
> 17 files on my system:
> find /boot -type f -not -path '/boot/grub/*' -print0 | xargs -0 ls -lah —
>
> Two general storage allocation notes:
>
> Be aware that files are not freed on disk until they are both deleted AND
> closed by all programs. If a program has an open file handle that file will
> remain allocated on-disk even after being unlink()ed, until it is closed.
> So if you delete things and it doesn’t clear up space be sure nothing still
> has the files open.
>
> You may be able to grow the filesystem and just ignore the problem for the
> cost of another 100 MB of disk allocation, depending on what FS it is and
> what type block device it’s on.
>
>         Zach

Matthew Nuzum