[Cialug] Low profile

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Jun 4 10:14:45 CDT 2015

Yes, but as far as I know, all commercially available adapters are going to
be switching. If you're building a computer then you can buy or build a
linear converter, but if you're looking for an off the shelf computer, that
will be tricky. If you do build a linear converter, make sure to have a
good heat sink on it. Also, keep in mind that if you're running off of 12v
(I'm assuming a battery) then your voltage will vary. In a car situation
you can have 11 to 14 volts. That means you'd need a buck-boost converter
which, as far as I have seen, means a switching regulator.

In that case, a device like a tablet or RPi that can run off of 5v may be a
good idea. You could use a linear adapter to go from 11-14v down to 5v. You
will, however, waste over half your power as heat. If you can use a
switching supply and shielding, you'll get far better results.

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 9:18 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Jun 2015, Patrick Mcgillan wrote:
>
> > Yes, I was already thinking along those lines. Another possibility
> > would be a tablet, which will do power without the upconverter like a
> > regular laptop uses. Note, am against inline power adapters due to the
> > amount of RFI they produce in my ham radio.
> >
> A linear power adapter (as opposed to switching) should minimize RF
> interference, .. add it to the system itself in an aluminum enclosure and
> make sure the two halves are bonded.
>
>         Lee

Matthew Nuzum