[Cialug] 87 days to go. Cert recommendations?

Paul Gray gray at cs.uni.edu
Fri Jan 30 11:13:07 CST 2015

On 01/30/2015 10:54 AM, Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> Hi, in my opinion, e-mail ssl certs give you some flexibility. In the world
> of web and commerce, fractions of a second can have measurable impacts on
> conversion rates. This is not as big of an issue with e-mail. Therefore the
> debate about chained certs are far less pressing I think.
>
> This puts you in a great situation because you have choices. You didn't
> specify your values, so here are some things to consider:
>
> You care most about cost and simplicity
> - Go with StartSSL.

Thanks Matthew.

I've used StartSSL in the past, and when trying to re-up with them
earlier this week, I was faced with the infamous "We're over capacity,
try again later".  Today I did a refresh on the same open browser page
and got through.  So StartSSL is really hit or miss, but a home run when
you connect.  I'm more amazed that the "try again later" page wasn't a
permanent fixture.  Their terms are pretty clear though (albeit
unenforceable?), and not for business purposes.

Erik's suggestion for < $20/year hits the sweet spot in what I am
looking for in terms of cost and convenience.  The mail server in
question is low-volume (~1000 transactions/day - but those are mainly
incoming SMTP deliveries and non-ssl) with IMAPS/POPS clients (~20) that
typically tap in and hold their connections throughout the day.

-PG