[Cialug] Monitoring?

David Bierce david at bierce.org
Sun Jan 25 15:11:39 CST 2015

That is pretty much the state of things.  Here is a little experience from
the solutions I've used.  In no particular order and from a phone.

Nagios is a fantastic complex crontab that runs 100s of shell scripts and
returns its little amounts of data at amazing speeds, until you try to
scale it.  If you were thinking of using Nagios, https://www.icinga.org/ is
a compelling fork and has 20% less suck in the current version.

http://sensuapp.org/ looks to be promising, just added support and
integration for it into our products at work.  At the end of the day, it
isn't much different than nagios, except it allows you to scale a bit
better and lets you pipe the data and events between processes much
easier.  It even lets you run Nagios checks...because like nagios...its a
scaled cron.  Does have a few canned solutions for feeding metrics to
graphite.

opennms.org is a compelling solution, for network and network device
monitoring only.  It falls flat on monitoring non network things.

Zenoss, is easy to use and and has a webinterface, but it quite bloated and
not very fast at performing checks at scale.  For small environments it is
quite easy.

For Paid solutions

If you're an all microsoft shop, System Center is quite compelling, but you
have to be all in on the entire Microsoft and Microsoft Partner stack.

Hyperic was quite nice a few years ago, very good at monitoring services
and parts of services, focused mainly on Java apps, but it had a lot of
usefulness.