[Cialug] Most reliable backup solution

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Feb 12 09:24:45 CST 2015

Most of the backup solutions I've used involved rsync and a remote file
store. The restore process looks like this:

  1a. Install OS and updates
  1b. Install required packages (hopefully I get them all)
  1c. Configure software (by restoring /etc)
  2. Restore data
  3. Restart services and we're live

The effort to do steps 1a - 1c are pretty laborious. In the case of a web
server, it takes far longer than restoring the data.

I've used time-machine for Mac OS and it works pretty slick. If you
experience a failure or data loss, you boot off of the installation media,
at the installation screen choose to restore from backup, choose the backup
location and it restores the OS, the Apps and your data in one swoop.

I was wondering last night if there is a better way to do my server backup
than what I'm using. I know about CrashPlan, but essentially, it is still
going to be the same steps above, if I understand correctly.

--
Matthew Nuzum