[Cialug] Dumped Mediacom, feels good

Nicolai nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org
Thu Feb 5 13:04:36 CST 2015

The Mediacom installer botched the installation and it never worked
right.  There was a power outage in the middle of installation, and I
think he got impatient and just did the minimum when power returned.
(I wasn't here, just inferring what happened based on reports.)

I usually got about 15KB/s of bandwidth, and typically 15% packet loss
(though very often more, 65% packet loss... 95% packet loss).  And
latency was awful... often it took dozens of seconds to deliver packets.

I frequently got dialup speed, and it often didn't work at all.  Called
tech support and got yelled at.  Was told I'd be charged $50 if I had a
tech come inspect the line because it was working "good enough."

Took the modem, power adapter and ethernet cable to Mediacom and shut
off service.

Now I'm on a new ISP with 0% packet loss, more bandwidth than Mediacom
marketed (and about 50x more than delivered), no bandwidth caps, and the
service is even cheaper!

And the installers were awesome!  One of them was super excited about
the prospect of the FCC classifying Internet service as Title II.  The
contrast couldn't have been more stark.

I previously had excellent (but overpriced) Mediacom service in another
location but due to this experience they will be my last choice in the
future.

If you don't like your ISP, don't hesitate to switch!

Nicolai