[Cialug] The systemd Init System

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Dec 9 14:23:53 CST 2015

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 2:06 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Dec 2015, David Champion wrote:
>
> > Question: I'm used to being able to type "service named status" for
> > instance, and it give you some useful information back, like the number
> of
> > zones you have, the number of clients connected etc. On a newer box
> (CentOS
> > 7) using systemd, I haven't found a good way to get the same type of info
> > back.
> >
> > Any pointers on that?
> >
> At some point, the old 'service' links disappear [most likely what you are
> experiencing], in which case you have to use:
>
>         systemctl status named.service
>
> Same info, different environment.

Not exactly, some pre-systemd service scripts returned much more
information that just basic service status information, named was one that
did that.  systemctl doesn't do that for you so you need to use the
"native" command/procedure to get extended status information about a
service.

--
Jeff Ollie