[Cialug] Managing costs for S3

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Dec 3 10:29:26 CST 2015

I'm helping someone migrate a site from an old CMS to static files. I
suggested Amazon S3, but she's concerned because if the site is flooded
with traffic the costs could be unpredictable.

Admittedly, the subject matter of her site is health related and disturbing
to some, so I'd say she probably has a *slightly* higher chance than some
to be at risk. (though I think using a VPS is more risky, even if the cost
is more predictable)

Has anyone used tools with AWS to help you stay alerted to unexpected costs
like this? In the grand scheme of things, this project doesn't warrant it
(we're talking a price difference of at most $60/year), but I do think it's
an interesting problem.