[Cialug] Web caches and SSL

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Aug 25 11:29:56 CDT 2015

I was looking into that and I'd love to hear more about how it helped you.
The reason I use Varnish is because I tend to use very low cost web
servers, for example the $5 droplet at Digital Ocean. These servers work
just fine 99% of the time, but if there's a sudden spike they fall over.

Varnish helps in two ways: It serves spikes from cache, which is the number
one reason I use it, and it also helps the site feel generally more snappy
even when not loaded.

My fear is/was that having an extra web server end point in the mix, too
much of the server's resources would go towards proxying rather than
serving the content.

Frankly, I haven't tested this, so I'm just being lazy, but do you think
this scenario would work in a low-mem (512MB for example) environment?

--
Matthew Nuzum