[Cialug] SciFi Movie Night!

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Aug 5 14:00:25 CDT 2015

I'm more interested in books than movies, personally, so I'll try to
participate. Sadly, I'm traveling the 12th. I don't know what my schedule
is like that night yet, but if I'm free I'll drop an email to see if anyone
can invite me via hangout.

I will agree that RPO may not have the literary chops some would hope for
but it was a lot of fun and the plot had some great twists. I'd put it in
the category of a "very fun read" even if it's not going to get the
critical acclaim. I stand by my earlier statement, the central theme lends
itself well to a movie, which I think is as damning as it is a
recommendation. ;-)

One funny result is that I've very suddenly grown a serious disdain for
social media. Part of the setting of that book is a world that revolves
around an online social experience. The author subtly considers the natural
outcome in the world when our lives and even economy are all centered in a
virtual world. (yeah, try to resolve that with my statement above about
joining via hangout)

Some of you know that I am striving to be a writer and because of that I'm
doing a lot of research, especially in the speculative fiction area. If you
can stand something in the YA realm, "Nerve" by Jeanne Ryan is another
thriller that covers some very interesting ideas related to what happens
when our lives shift more towards the virtual world.

Another YA, this one with legs to stand with the best, is "Beautiful
Creatures" by Kami Garcia. The world and character building is phenomenal.
I came across this one simply because I was desperate for something with a
male protagonist.

And just to prove that I'm not all YA these days, I lost about 6 weeks of
my life devouring the Dresden Files and now I'm eagerly waiting the next
book. Jim Butcher is a master at sucking you into a story and then holding
your attention with an iron grip.

Matthew Nuzum