[Cialug] Slightly OT, ... an "Online Community"

David Champion dchamp1337 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 14:20:45 CDT 2015

As for your comment about Facebook groups - if your goal is a private
group, then there are many other options.

You can use Facebook for private groups only, and just not "friend" anyone
else, that's up to you. Nobody forces you to look at cat pictures on
Facebook.

If your goal is to have a public facing group, it works very well. As an
example, our SCCA region has about 300 actual paying members. Our Facebook
group has 730 members. When we want to promote an event, that gives us
reach far beyond our membership. We also use other means like a traditional
newsletter and Constant Contact.

-dc