[Cialug] Project Photon

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 18:13:12 CDT 2015

You know what we could really use? Another Linux distro.

https://blogs.vmware.com/cloudnative/introducing-photon/

"Today, we’re pleased to announce two new open source projects – Project
Photon and Project Lightwave – that will help our customers to securely
build, run, and manage their cloud-native applications.

"Photon provides the following benefits:

  "Support for the most popular Linux container formats including Docker,
rkt, and Garden from Pivotal
  "Minimal footprint (approximately 300MB), to provide an efficient
environment for running containers
  "Seamless migration of container workloads from development to production
  "All the security, management, and orchestration benefits already
provided with vSphere offering system administrators with operational
simplicity"

It's humorous how they say they are "open sourcing Project Photon". Well of
course you are. It's not yours to close.

I will be curious to see how this pans out, though. I think there's room
for a VMware-supported, VMware-optimized, Linux distro.

--
Todd