[Cialug] iPhone vs Android

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Apr 13 11:33:19 CDT 2015

Swift is making things easier, but here are a couple things: (scroll to the
bottom for the bottom line summary)

Manual memory management was a requirement until relatively recently. Even
now, if you're supporting an app on older versions of iOS you must still do
it. You still need to keep an eye on it for weak references. I don't know
if there's an easy way to upgrade a legacy project to use automatic
reference counting so you may have to scrap and rewrite older code to use
memory management. There is no GC.

Objective C is not a commonly used language. It is not like C++ (and it's
offspring) at all, though both do support OOP styles of development. The
structure of the language, the way it defines functions and passes
arguments, all are very different syntactically from C and C++ (and
consequently every C based language based on those). If you want to hear
some swearing, have a Java or C# developer try to debug an Objective C app.

The homogeneity of the platform used to be good, until there were different
screen sizes to deal with. Android had to overcome this hurdle right away,
at the very beginning. Dealing with different screen sizes is far more
mature on Android. Not surprisingly, the latest Xcode almost entirely
mimics the Android tools, but the way you layout screens is different. I
think the new iOS method is probably better, but again, Android's is far
more mature.

There is a lack of competition, and therefore innovation, in the
development tools. Java does not have a standard IDE and therefore there is
a wealth of options available. Here's something simple that every
development tool I've used in years supports that Xcode doesn't: Highlight
a block of text and press tab. I'd expect the entire block to get an extra
level of indent. Instead the code is deleted and a tab is inserted instead.
Seriously.

You have to use a Mac and you have to be using OS X to develop and build
apps. Period. Hackintosh won't work reliably because of the previously
mentioned planned obsolescence. Apple forces developers to be constantly
upgrading their software, and you just can't wait 6 months for the
community to figure out how to make it all work.

*Positive notes:*
the iOS simulator is a gem. Because OS X and iOS are so simulator (Cocoa
based) an emulator isn't needed. A simulator can be used instead. The
downside is that the simulator isn't quite as close of a match to the
actual hardware as the Android emulator is, but it is fast. Yes, HAXM has
helped Android drastically, but the iOS simulator is still way smoother.

The command line build tools are very well integrated into the OS. At least
as well as GCC is integrated into a typical Linux distro. Everything just
works and you don't have to fuss with paths, variables or any magic. You
definitely don't have to mess with Java.

Swift is lowering the bar to learning iOS development. I'm learning Swift
now and it's a big step in the right direction. It's reminiscent of
Objective C, so it's easy to translate docs from one to the other. It also
has a hint of Ruby and Javascript in it too.

*Bottom line:*
The biggest problem with iOS development is that it's a different set of
tools and a different language for a different platform. It's so different
that the context switch is way bigger than, say, C# and Java, which at the
language level, look very similar. Developers will likely have to choose a
specialty for one platform and expect a big ramping up period when going
from one to the other.

Matthew Nuzum