[Cialug] Shellshock Bash Remote Code Execution Vulnerability

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Thu Sep 25 16:10:40 CDT 2014

I agree that the bash vulnerability is serious, .. but there seem to be
some mitigatng factors that are not being observed in all the excitement:

1) Most modern web code uses a language with it's own environment (Rails,
PHP, ..). As such, the web page itself has no access to the enviornment.
We have not supported a cgi application in probably six or seven years!

2) We NEVER used bash for a cgi application, even when we did - sh was
always the best tool. KISS.

So, it sounds like most of the scare related to bad programming practices?
Not that they aren't important either, but nobody mentions reality!

	Lee