[Cialug] Today's big news: Intel Edison computer on a chip

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Sep 9 15:05:20 CDT 2014

After all the leaks and rumors going back to the early part of the year,
I'm sure everyone is eager to finally see concrete information about
Intel's new computer on a chip.

It's called Edison[1] and is about the size of an SD card. It contains a
dual-core 500MHz atom CPU, 1GB of RAM, dual band wifi and Bluetooth low
energy. It has 4GB of built-in eMMC storage and an integrated Quark
micro-controller providing 40 GPIO and runs at 100MHz.

It's programmable with C++ and Arduino and includes a framework for
device-to-device and device-to-cloud communication.

Cost is about $50, but it's not clear to me what volume is required. There
is a starter pack with a breakout board and some shield-like devices for
sale at $115[2]. It runs Linux but I don't have a lot of details.

There's a getting started guide with an intro video[3]. I haven't watched
it yet.

Looks pretty cool!

[1] http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/do-it-yourself/edison.html
[2] https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13093