[Cialug] ICANN Has Cheezburger

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 15:38:15 CDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 9:31 AM, David Champion <dchamp1337 at gmail.com> wrote:

> You can also do a private domain registration (a premium fee from most
> registrars), so the public can't see your info. I assume the registrar
> still shares your info with ICANN.

Thanks all. Yeah, I realize I have to do it. I guess it's not entirely a
bad thing.

It just surprised me because I've never had to do that before. My inner
phishing alert went off at first when I got the email.

I heard an old podcast the other day -- for muggles, not techies -- where
the host was talking about the U.S.'s move to give up control of ICANN.
They said something like "until now there's been relatively little
controversy in the humdrum dealings of ICANN". I about choked on my soda
with surprise. Luckily the guest on the show was polite enough to correct
the host's misconceptions.

--
Todd