[Cialug] good linux distro for web dev?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Sep 2 21:47:45 CDT 2014

Find out what tools you need and then check out what distros work best with
those tools. It may be that all the tools you like work equally well, but
it is possible that you reduce your options a little. For example, Webstorm
may be your tool of choice and it needs Oracle JDK or OpenJDK 1.7.

A good warning sign is that when you search for <tool of choice> <distro>
you get only a list of bug reports. Be prepared for a battle.

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 10:06 AM, Brett Neese <brett at brettneese.com> wrote:

> hey folks,
>
> i recently replaced my MBA with a Surface (gasp) which I actually love
> (gasp gasp).
>
> however, i can't do web development the way i'm used to in a no-*nix
> environment, so I'm looking to get a Linux box running in a Virtualbox.
>
> what are your recommendations? my instinct was to just use Ubuntu, but I'm
> kind of looking for something a bit more bare-bones than Unity/Gnome 3.
>
> i primarily do python/php and am looking for something that'll make that
> life as easy as possible, especially should i run into problems.
>
> let me know!
>
> thanks,
>
> Brett Neese
> 563-210-3459