[Cialug] Is this monitoring tech really new?

jim kraai jimgkraai at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 16:18:43 CDT 2014

It's a read and goes into good descriptive detail
http://m.phys.org/news/2014-10-lots-capacity-algorithm.html
No, I won't TL;DR it, that introduces my own biases.

But is this really 'new'?  Surely someone here has done something similar.

I wrote a multi-log-file watcher back in '93 that used what sounds like
eerily similar techniques, then in '04-ish, wrote something similar for
control systems that used wavelets with shifting windows across weekly and
monthly calendars for storage- and compute-efficient compare and alerting.
They seemed like obvious applications of what we had available at the time.

Both times, I started working on a hierarchical system of watcher watchers
(no laughing, it was awesome), but just didn't have the time to do more
than spec them out. The next step was to see if machine learning algos
would add any value, again, no resources to go there.

If this is new now, then aarrgghh, ouch, and all that