[Cialug] making debs from complied source

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Sun Oct 12 15:47:45 CDT 2014

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014, Dan Hockey wrote:

> I managed to complie an x86 program from source on a 512mb rpi and it worked. I found out the hard way
> that just copying the files over to another rpi dosen't work, I'm assuming its because of all the dependances.
> Is it possible to make a .deb on a rpi? or does it have to be cross compiled on a pc?
> -dan

It's possible, .. but it might be simpler to just install dependencies via
packages and then grab the installed components of the source install.

	make install --dry-run

We do that with our Nagios appliances - I have one for development, and
push the installed files to our git repository; pulling to the production
units is painless. It also means we dont' have to include source files
on shipped units.

	Lee