[Cialug] Replacing failed RAID 1 drive

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Thu Oct 2 14:31:59 CDT 2014

On Oct 1, 2014, at 3:46 PM, Rob Cook <rdjcook at gmail.com> wrote:

> after copying the partition scheme over from the existing drive

Unless you’re only using part of the disk for the md array you can just use the raw device with no partition scheme of any kind. Even mixing and matching is fine. md doesn’t care at all so long as your block device has enough bytes.

> replace it with another 3Tb. Then expand the LVM and *magic* twice the space... I hope ;)

After you’ve got the new drives in, it should be as easy as:
	mdadm --grow /dev/md0 --size=max
	pvresize /dev/md0
and then the volume group should show a bunch of unallocated space.

Note that if you are using a write-intent map on your array you should disable it before any resize/reshape operation. That’s as simple as:
	mdadm --grow /dev/md0 -b none
and can be re-enabled when you’re done with:
	mdadm --grow /dev/mdX -b internal

	Zach