[Cialug] Replacing failed RAID 1 drive

Rob Cook rdjcook at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 17:46:20 CDT 2014

That's a failed drive right there... when I got home tonight it was a
screaming unholy racket. The last pic looks to be where the head had been
machining a groove in the platter by the spindle. There are chunks on the
platter and the entire drive is dirty.

Popped in the new drive, booted up fine, rejoined the disk to the RAID via
mdadm after copying the partition scheme over from the existing drive, now
somewhere between the next 4-6 hours the array will be rebuilt. Next month
I'll get another new drive (I went from 1.5Tb to 3Tb on the replacement)
fail out the old drive and replace it with another 3Tb. Then expand the LVM
and *magic* twice the space... I hope ;)