[Cialug] VSphere Converter Installer for Linux

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 13:20:39 CST 2014

I don't recall there ever being a VMware Converter for Linux. You can
convert Linux systems with it, but I don't believe you can install the
converter on Linux. If there was a linux-installable Converter ages ago, I
doubt it is still available.

Your best bet may be to perform a dd dump of the hard disk from the old
hardware, then dd that image into a newly created VM with a virtual disk of
the appropriate size. The XP OS will freak out because all of this hardware
changed so you will need your license key to re-apply it. You will also
need to install the VMware Tools before most things will work. Also, make
sure your version of VMware (Workstation? Fusion? ESXi?) supports XP or it
may not work. I *think* ESXi 5.5 still supports XP, but they may have
dropped it. . .

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 12:52 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> Trying to P2V an old Windows machine (the HW is dead), .. I recall mention
> of the VMWare Converter as the best tool. Unfortunately, v5.1 appears to
> only be available as an EXE, and the only "Linux/Open Source" code are
> actual utilities like gcc, et al.
>
> Is the Linux installer gone? I can find references to it being there in
> 4.01, .. but that is no longer available.
>
> If gone, what is the best way now to convert an old Windows XP machine?
>
>         TIA!
>
>         lee

Tired programmer
Coding late into the night