[Cialug] some truth to that

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue May 20 13:53:33 CDT 2014

On May 20, 2014, at 1:24 PM, Andrew Denner <linux-list at upeke.com> wrote:

> It can also be abused in horrible ways. as in one of the best stackoverflow
> questions ever "RegEx match open tags except XHTML self-contained
> tags<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1732348/regex-match-open-tags-except-xhtml-self-contained-tags/1732454#1732454>"
> which is also the best use of extended characters and sarcasm in an answer.

I was hoping somebody would reference that. By the way, that "the pony he comes" bit is a great way to test your application's Unicode support. It's way more than just extended characters. Twitter counts those 17 characters as 104.

Back on topic, I read the book "Mastering Regular Expressions" by Friedl and it greatly changed my outlook on Regex. I strongly suggest it. You can get the older 2nd edition quite cheap and it's still very useful, since regex hasn't changed a lot. (but the newer version does have some useful examples with more modern libraries) If you're not much of a reader, I suggest picking up the audio book version.

--
Matthew Nuzum