[Cialug] Upgrading CentOS

Barry Von Ahsen vonahsen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 09:02:16 CDT 2014

On Mar 24, 2014, at 8:42 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Mar 2014, David Champion wrote:
>
>> Test the upgrade in a VM?
>>
>> I believe the recommended practice for CentOS 5 to 6 is a fresh install.
>> I've done several that way, haven't had any major issues with PHP sites.
>>
> Only want to upgrade to 5.10 now, .. the test server has had all patches
> installed, but it does not upgrade things like php.

I've done point upgrades on centos5 LAMP boxes many times and have never had an issue.  I have always trusted that RHEL wouldn't want to make silly changes that would affect hosted sites, and for centos to maintain that, and it has worked out for the most part

the primary caveat would be that we developed our own code and didn't do anything overly complicated, so if you're hosting a bunch of wordpress/drupal/phpBB/etc, YMMV

are you preventing php updates via yum.conf or other similar mechanism?  I've always had those components updated along with the rest.  the test plan we had was to update the dev servers first because the developers were always in it, and if nothing went sideways, to update prod

-barry