[Cialug] Wi-fi recommendations

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Mon Mar 10 09:47:33 CDT 2014

My home wireless network is based around Apple Airport hardware.
Unfortunately, it has recently come to my attention that Airports do not
work with all devices. I have had no problem getting laptops made by
each of Apple, Dell, and HP to work. My Android phone, a Galaxy S3, also
works perfectly. But a Kindle tablet will not connect, nor will a
Chromecast. From asking Google i found that it might be possible to
connect a Kindle to an Airport, if you downgrade the Airport firmware to
a specific version, turn off 802.11n, and sacrifice a chicken on the eve
of a blue moon.

So... my question is, what would people recommend for a home wireless
network that supports all devices?

__
Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 122, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: daniel.ramaley at drake.edu