[Cialug] Nakamoto: Double Spacer

Jeff Chapin chapinjeff at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 12:30:32 CST 2014

>From the linked wiki article: "These include a normal word
space<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_space>(as between the words in
a sentence), a single enlarged
space <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_%28punctuation%29>, two full
spaces, and, most recently in digital
media<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_media>,
no space."

Does anyone have an example where the period ending a sentence does not
have a following space?It seems awkward to me to type, and I have a hard
time thinking where I would have seen that.In fact, this is not just
awkward to type, but seems ugly, and more difficult to read.

Jeff

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Nathan Stien <nathanism at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was born in 1981, and I was taught to double space after a period
> sometime in the early 90s, using GUI word processors.  I have never used a
> typewriter.
>
> While I know the trend has gone against double spacing, my programmer-brain
> always liked that it resolves the ambiguity between periods that are part
> of abbreviations and those that end a sentence.

Jeff Chapin
President, CedarLug, retired
President, UNIPC, "I'll get around to it"
President, UNI Scuba Club
Senator, NISG, retired