[Cialug] Hiring Discrimination With a Local Twist

jim kraai jimgkraai at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 20:07:13 CDT 2014

This impacts us linuxarios where we work and how competitive we can be when
we job hunt.

It's long, sorry.  I tried to get it down to 140 chars, but just could't.

Lately there have been calls for a boycott of recruiting firms that are
only advertising certain classes of US jobs outside of the US.
http://www.itworld.com/software/421378/us-tech-worker-groups-boycott-ibm-infosys-manpower

I might understand the practice if these recruiters claimed that because of
increased lead-time requirements for getting people work visas, they were
pre-recruiting to get ahead of the curve, but they're not even trying to
use this potentially believable reason.

A link to the source article has this nice local tie-in "No Americans Need
Apply Job Ads Exposed; Demands Dice.com Remove Ads"
http://www.brightfuturejobs.com/no_americans_need_apply_job_ads_exposed

For actual job listings, rather than hear-say, here's a link to a document
with 100 of Dice's ads that show the problem
https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/brightfuturejobs/pages/15/attachments/original/1360612561/No_Americans_Need_Apply_-_100_Help_Wanted_Ads_Exclude.pdf

Note however, it appears that with changes lately in Dice.com's management
(
http://www.diceholdingsinc.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=211152&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1796176
) and what looks like a push to move product engineering to San Jose and
scatter other departments to places anywhere but Iowa, they probably won't
be a local concern for long.

I'm not suggesting a boycott of Dice, just trying to make us more aware of
how the job market is running these days.