[Cialug] USB flash drive not bootable

Sean Flattery sean.r.flattery at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 12:18:39 CDT 2014

I used to occasionally run into USB drives that weren't bootable due to
some hardware limitation on the device.  Sometimes I could load up gparted
and flip the bootable bit on the drive to remedy this.  You could probably
use parted or fdisk to set it instead.

I used to play with the various multi-boot USB drive install tools like
YUMI and I kept running into problems where they'd fail to load any OS in
the GRUB menu.  The USB drives would run any solitary distro just fine
though. Perhaps it's worth trying a non multi-boot install method to
isolate the issue more.

Sean Flattery