[Cialug] Flash Porn (SFW)

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 09:50:33 CDT 2014

You know how there's the term "data porn", which means a display of data
for consumption that gives the feeling, but not the reality, of knowledge
or understanding?  There should be a similar term for when people use
flashy movy GUI elements that way.  I don't need crap to move around on the
screen when I hover over it, or expand or flash stupidly.  Argh.

I use one application that's written with HTML5 or Ajax or something, that
shows fat lines for a list of things, and if you click into one of the
lines it expands slightly with additional information, and then once it
expands you can click again and open a new page of information about it.
It just has the effect of hiding information you want to know until you
click on each line.  And I can't visually compare the details of each line
because if I look at one line, note the number in space X, and then click
on another one it shifts everything around and breaks my gaze so that I
can't line up columns in my mind.  Argh!

It's just flash for flash's sake.  All lightning, no thunder.  It's
annoying.

--
Todd