[Cialug] Slightly OT - IPv6 sillyness

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Wed Jul 9 14:31:05 CDT 2014

I have been trying to grok IPv6 and how it fits into our infrascture, ..
and one thing blows my mind - if I understand correctly, there is NO WAY
TO SETUP A PRIVATE SUBNET? In my mind the first step of any security is to
put all the user machines on a 10-net behind a firewall doing NAT, which
is impossible with IPv6, as every v6 address is publicly accessible!

We had a big discussion about this last month, and the IPv6 chap was
dumbfounded that I even wanted to DO a private network.

Is this really true? How is one *supposed* to create a sane user subnet
with IPv6?

	Lee