[Cialug] ? Asset Inventory and Management

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 15:28:14 CDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 9:34 AM, jim kraai <jimgkraai at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Smart and Experienced Professionals;
>
> If I had servers (physical and virtual) in three data centers running a
> variety of OSs and wanted to do a partially automated inventory of my
> assets, network topology, services, configuration, etc., what would be a
> good open-source toolset to use?

You know, I swear I asked this question about a year ago, here on the
CIALUG list.  But my search-fu fails me.

I just discovered this: Ansible comes with modules called facter and ohai
that do remote inventory scans.

   * http://docs.ansible.com/facter_module.html
   * http://puppetlabs.com/facter

   * http://docs.ansible.com/ohai_module.html
   * http://docs.opscode.com/ohai.html

Puppet and Chef are cross-platform, and Ansible intends to be RSN.

--
Todd